Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Farhana Hamzah, Financial Analyst

I think..there should be a movie made about analysts. Haih... You know.. Wall Street is the closest we could ever get. I'm tired of watching shows of doctors..although i lloooveee Grey's Anatmy...and House MD... but it'll be nice to be recognized professionally. Thats what I feel though. The top 10 jobs in 2010 never existed in 2008. How about that? 

Analysts... We come to work at 7.. check up all news portal for anything related to our sectors or stocks... go for morning meeting by 8... And then we head for breakfst at 9 after the market opens. We go for company visits.. catch up with management of companies we cover.. When I say cover, it means we have a proper working financial models on these companies.. and we will forecast earnings of these companies.. Then we derive to target price of the stock. Valuation part may differ from every sector. Some people use DCF, gordon growth, DDM, PER or sum of parts. These are the popular ones. 
The TA Research 2010

As analysts, we are paid well. If we compare ourselves with peers from other industries. But then, not everyone in town would like the average 12-hours a day job you see. And during reporting season, we'll have 16-20 hours of work? Tough. Not that I'm saying other jobs out there aint. Just that, yes...we work the long hours. I am young and energetic. With no worry on what to cook, hows my kid doing at home etc. But I guess "burnout" may not be too far away, from where Im standing. 

Us analysts also have awards. Like Asia Money.. Star Mine and II. These awards.. represent our calls on our stocks and our marketing skills with our clients. A friend of mine from OSK calls Asia Money as the MTV awards. Cause its based on client votes. Like American Idol la. Star Mine on the other hand calculates the absolute returns we make to our investors. Its quite subjective. Although, I'm shy from 3 years experience, I am still considered a junior. 

Good Ol' Days

Last year, I was listed and ranked in Asia Money for Consumer sector.. #17. Nothing big but its an achievement. Since I only had two years experience or less. It was pretty cool since TA aint that big. So this year, I dont know. We'll find out soon enough. They did contact my boss and asked for my details. (Fingers crossed) InsyaAllah. I need another increment. Increment gives me the sense of belonging. Like Im needed and wanted here. I think that is important. I feel appreciated and I feel happy when I spend so I'll work harder so I'll get more increment. Hehehhehe... I like money. Dont get me wrong. I love spending my own money. And my parent's money. I like the fact that I have my own income. And my hard work pays off. Alhamdulillah. 
In-bus-Entertainment

Medan

Next purchase InsyaAllah would be a house. Not so much landed since I cant afford that. I'll probably get an apartment. Nothing too fancy like a 4-bedroom and all. Just a nice two-bedroom apartment in a nice area. My eyes are set on Mont Kiara. It aint cheap I know but I need an increment la. Then we can talk. Hehehheh

I could leave TA Research. But I love it here. I love my boss and my colleagues. I have the best working environment in the industry. We are close and we go for trips together. They're like my best friends I'd say. Well, you cant discount the fact that we see each other everyday for like 10-12hours ya. Hahhahaha All is good. 

I am a Consumer analyst. oh and Telco. I like Consumer cause its my comfortzone. Its an easy sector. And people-centric I'd say. Telco is very interesting. Telco companies provide loads of data. I aspire to cover regional telco stocks. But I'm still new. I'm gonna have to learn lots more before I plan to do that. Ok off to lunch!

No comments:

Post a Comment